HOLLYWOOD MONEY: MOVIE BUCKS & POWER AGENTS (How to Get One)
by Dov S-S Simens on February 9, 2020
HOLLYWOOD MOVIE AGENTS
No-Bull! Yes you need an agent.
Yes you need a movie agent that knows how to sell scripts, hire writers, attach bankable actors, create movie packages, take meetings with deal-makers and power-brokers and help with financing via pre-selling, etc.
And the secret to securing a true Hollywood agent is to retain a powerful Hollywood attorney and literally buy your way into the system.
However, to succeed, remember, you will still need (A) talent, (B) work ethic and (C) marketable packages.
(Be sure that he/she is licensed and has a bookkeeping department to collect, monitor and distribute your earnings…www.WebFilmSchool.com )
Now, how do you get one? A real one. Not just someone that says “I’m an agent” and B-Sh*ts about how many Hollywood contacts they’ve accumulated after 30 years in the industry (yak-yak-yak)…
Get a real one… A real agent that only takes 10-15% of the monies he/she obtains you and has the abilities to monitor and oversee the collection of the monies.
A, quote-unquote, “real agent” is hard to find… never-the-less get on the phone with… never-the-less have a face-to-face meeting to do that “elevator pitch” that you have been practicing for the past 12-15 months…
Now, how do you get a face-to-face meet with a real Hollywood agent?
WHO ARE THE POWER HOLLYWOOD AGENCIES
There are over 100 licensed talent or literary agents/agencies (How to Get a Talent Agent License view… https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/Talent_Agency_License.html ) that are in Los Angeles alone.
The Big 7, with over 200 agents each are…
(1) AGENCY FOR PERFORMING ARTS (310-888-4200)
(2) CREATIVE ARTISTS AGENCY (424-888-2000)
(“CAA & WME are Hollywood’s largest agencies with offices in New York, London, Miami, Nashville and now Beijing.”)
(3) THE GERSH AGENCY (310-274-6611)
(4) INTERNATIONAL CREATIVE MANAGEMENT (310-550-4000)
(5) PARADIGM AGENCY (310-288-8000)
(6) UNITED TALENT AGENCY (310-273-6700)
(7) WILLIAM MORRIS ENDEAVOR (310-285-9000)
Again, so you say “You need an agent.”
Above are seven phone numbers to call where there are right now at least 1,400 Literary, Talent or Packaging agents.
The saying is “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.”
So what you are really saying is “you want someone to get-you-an-agent.“
MOVIE AGENT CONTACTS
There are basically 5 categories of people who, because of their power, credability or bankable contacts, have the ability to get-you-an-agent.
These 5 groups are.
(1) ENTERTAINMENT ATTORNEYS
(2) PERSONAL MANAGERS
(3) DEVELOPMENT EXECUTIVES
(5) BANKABLE TALENT
Further, of the 5 groups the absolutely easiest one to get, “to get-you-an-agent”, is the entertainment attorney…
Now, important point…. Attorneys are not F-R-E-E.
Entertainment attorneys love saying how great you are, how great your idea is, how wonderful your script is, dazzling you with their contacts, their experience, their expertise, their past deals and how to get yours made… then comes…
(A) HOURLY FEE ($450-$850/hour)
(B) RETAINER ($10,000-$50,000)
Below is a list of powerful entertainment attorneys that everyday deal with 3-5 agents on deals. It will be very simple for them, once retained, to have him/her pick up the phone and set up 2-3 pitch meetings for you… but be careful.
I purposely did not include the attorney’s law firms’ contact details for I believe it important for you to (A) Google, (B) do some homework, (C) Get contact details yourself while (D) discovering history/gossip about the agent/law firm you are about to phone.
TOP 25 HOLLYWOOD POWER LAWYERS
(1) KARL AUSTEN (Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer…)
(2) DANIEL BLACK (Greenberg Traurig…)
(3) JAKE BLOOM (Bloom Hergott Diemer…)
(4) HAROLD BROWN (Gang Tyre Ramer…)
(5) JOSEPH CALABRESE (Latham & Watkins)
(6) MELANIE COOK (Ziffren Brittenham)
(7) CHRISTINE CUDDY (Kleinberg Lange Cuddy…)
(8) CRAIG EMMANUEL (Loeb & Loeb)
(9) MATTHEW ERRAMOUSPE (O’Melveny & Myers)
(10) PATTI FELKER (Felker Toczek Gellman…)
(11) BERT FIELDS (Greenberg Glusker…)
(12) BRYAN FREEDMAN (Friedman & Taitelman…)
(13) CLIFF GILBERT-LURIE (Ziffren Brittenham)
(14)PATTY GLASER (Glaser Weil Fink…)
(15) ALLAN HERGOTT (Bloom Hergott Diemer…)
(16) KEN HERTZ (Hertz Lichtenstein & Young)
(17) JIM JACKOWAY (Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer…)
(18) DALE KINSELLA (Kinsella Weitzman Iser…)
(19) LINDA LICHTER (Lichter Grossman…)
(Can’t wait for the “2-DAY FILM SCHOOL” but want the information instantly, and for only $149, then order the “STREAMING FILM SCHOOL”…. https://www.webfilmschool.com/streaming-film-school/ )
(20) SCHUYLER MOORE (Stroock & Stroock & Lavan)
(21) KEVIN MORRIS (Morris Yorn Barnes…)
(22) ROBERT MYMAN (Myman Greenspan Fineman…)
(23) PETER NELSON (Nelson Davis)
(24) JEANNE NEWMAN ( Hanson Jacobson Teller…)
(25) PIERCE O’DONELL (Greenberg, Glusker Fields…)
With all my heart I beseech you to get either of my extremely affordable ($89-$249) 20-hour film school programs that will give you all the information so that you need to feel comfortable, move forward, make the call and close the deal.
Dov Simens / Dean / Hollywood Film Institute
20-HOUR (Live or On-Demand) FILM SCHOOL
Want facts not theory… Then my Film Schools ($149-$289) are perfect.
Enroll. Graduate. Write. Produce. Direct.
Next “HOLLYWOOD (2-Day) FILM SCHOOL” sessions are APRIL 4-5, AUGUST 8-9 and DECEMBER 5-6, 2020.